Friday, November 8, 2013

Fall Fall Fall

Are you adjusting to the time change yet?  Yeah?  Me either.  The hardest part for me has to be the shortening of the days as Fall moves right along.  I keep running out of daylight.  No worries though, most any of the critters are quite happy to remind me that the sun's going down and there's no dinner in their respective bowl, feeder, etc. 
 
It's supposed to be beautiful here for the next several days. A bit windy but then it's Fall.  I wonder when I'll actually stop thinking like a transplanted Texan and stop saying things like "I can't believe I'm wearing layers this time of year".  Or "Wow, it's so pretty" while watching the leaves turn red, orange, yellow.  Sometimes I hope that I never really get *used* to it.  That each season will continue to be a new and exciting thing. 

As I sit here with my 3rd cup of coffee and my trusty pen and to-do list  I'm almost ready to start the day.  Almost.  LOL  My list of to-do things is taking on a slightly different Fall type slant.  I'm still adjusting to NOT going out in the garden first thing after the dew dries. I look forward to some time to do some crocheting and a bit of knitting.  Easy stuff of course. I've got some yarn found cheap at a garage sale I can use.  I've started a lapgan with bits and pieces of leftover yarn.  Yarn isn't very high on the list when your budget is as tight as it is around here. I might actually pick up some double pointed needles though and try those socks that a reader suggested.    Of course that would mean a trip to town AND a stop at a big box store. (Two of my most favorite things to do.  NOT!!!) 

I had another "procedure" on my back this week and I admit I do feel better.  Although my back issues are genetic and I know things will eventually and progressively get worse, I'm finding some welcome relief for now. Just another thing I'm thankful for this month.

Today's agenda includes bread baking day, a couple of loads of laundry, (I'm going to take advantage of this beautiful sunshine and wind to dry them) I've got a roast in the crock-pot so dinner will be easy peasy, go pull up some of the death by frost plants and haul them to the compost bins, start "winterizing" the outdoor kitchen stuff, (which really just means I need to get things picked up and put away) maybe make some cookies and get my "yarn fix" in. Much more than that probably wont be done around here today!

Do you remember last month when Mars DVD player took a dump?  We ordered one from Ebay and it came in two weeks later.  Hooked that baby up and it worked exactly 5 times and died.  Sent back and waited almost two weeks for a replacement.  This one didn't work AT ALL.  So back it went and finally just this week, they kindly gave me a refund but would not reimburse my shipping. *sigh*   Another DVD player from another company has been ordered.  Due to arrive in the next few days.  It seems silly for me to keep Netflix active but each time I think we will be back to watching our nightly movie, well... 
                                 I'm still waiting.........

9 comments:

  1. So you still think like a Texan and I still think like an Indiana Hoosier. I miss my bright yellow sugar maples in my yard. The entire house would glow yellow....for two weeks. Then we had to rake up all that yellow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lottajoy,
      I'm still a newbie to actual seasons. There only seems to be two of them in Texas. Hot and Hotter with a smattering of 32` days tossed in every couple of years. I'm grateful most every day we didn't move any farther north though!
      Sci

      Delete
    2. Indiana had three seasons: hot...windy and wet.... cold and icy.

      I'm enjoying this area's two seasons: HOT, and not hot. We're in the NOT HOT season now, and the entire house is open to the breezes.

      Delete
  2. Call me crazy, but my body loves fall and loves the time change, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue,
      Once I get used to it I'm alright. It's the adjusting that gets to me. Not enough day in a day when ya move as slow as I do! lol
      Take Care,
      Sci

      Delete
  3. Sci,

    I'm soaking up the weather this weekend here too. It's suppose to be beautiful. Speaking of beautiful, I love the picture you posted of the changing of the leaves, it's gorgeous.
    Oh, the to - do - list is growing around here. There are all kinds of things to get ready for winter. The guys are outside as I type, we are downing several trees and stacking the wood for future use.
    We make a crockpot roast yesterday with potatoes and carrots. Enjoy your roast, don't work to hard today.
    Sending hugs to you and Mars
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy,
      The temps right now are nice but it would be so neat if the sun they kept promising would cooperate. That picture is taken at the end of my drive. Look familiar now? I've tried to take pictures from about the same spot when the season's start showing themselves.
      We still need to do a few things here too. Mars is getting all the outdoor pipes taken care of and things like getting all the hoses rolled up and put away. I swear I'm gonna get that porch cleaned off if it kills me. lol
      Don't you just love crock-pot days? I don't really have a bunch of "good" recipes though, I'm always looking for more.
      Enjoy the weather while ya can!
      Sci

      Delete
  4. We are having trouble with the time change here - just can't see to get enough sleep. The weather is too good and there are so many outdoor things to accomplish before winter arrives in force. Yesterday we unloaded and stacked a ton of pellets. Today Tramp 1 is doing some painting on his BBQ shed. Tomorrow I will start stacking two cords of firewood that were delivered on Thursday. We try to buy ahead a couple of years worth - better to be prepared! And I love the heat from our wood cook stove.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi 2 Tramps,
      See... not enough daylight to get everything you want done done! You guys get a much colder winters up there. I miss being able to haul pallets, but with no truck anymore theres not much we can do about it.
      Staying ahead on wood is always a good thing!
      Take care,
      Sci

      Delete