Sunday, July 29, 2012

Hot Pepper Jelly


We've had an abundance of peppers so far this year so I've been trying all sorts of "new to me" recipes.  I've heard about hot pepper jelly for some time now but had never tried any.  I figured it was about time I did.  And man am I glad I did! That's some good stuff!  It doesn't hurt that it's really easy to do too.  You can make it as hot or mild as you want.  I love it because you can just toss the peppers  in the blender or food processor in big pieces with the vinegar and let the machine do the work!


                                      Hot Pepper Jelly
Ingredients


About  a cup of hot peppers
1 Big bell pepper
1 1/2 cups of white vinegar
6 cups of sugar
2 packets of liquid pectin (6 oz)


Directions


Chop the peppers  in the blender or food processor with one cup of vinegar until its smooth.  Pour it into a big pot.  Add sugar and vinegar and mix well.  Bring the mixture up to a rolling boil and boil for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.


Here's where you can remove it from the heat and strain thru a sieve if you want.  I skipped this because I wanted the pieces in the jelly. Don't forget to heat your lids too.


Add your pectin, stirring constantly and let boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and skim foam if you need to. Ladle jelly into your jars leaving 1/4" head space. Clean the rim and threads of the jar with a damp towel. Put on your lids and rings.
Place the jars into boiling water in a large boiler with a rack on the bottom and cover 1-2 inches. Boil for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the jars stand for 5 minutes.  Remove the jars to a towel or a rack to cool.


See there.... I told you it was easy!  Did I mention it's awfully good with cream cheese and crackers???  Yummy!!!!

20 comments:

  1. Oh, boy, sounds easy and looks really tasty! How many pints does the recipe make? Our peppers are coming on pretty well other than battling aphids on them for the first time this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2 Tramps, I think you guys will really enjoy this recipe. This batch came out to 6 1/2 pints with some left over to "test" right away.

      I hate aphids

      Delete
  2. How sweet does it come out. I was suggesting something like this to my husband since we're going to have an abundance of jalapeno's this year, but he's worried it'll be to sweet for his taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth, I thought it would be super sweet with 6 cups of sugar but it balances out nicely with the peppers. Give it a try, what have you got to loose. If he still doesn't like it you can always use them for Christmas gifts.

      Delete
    2. True, and alot of the family likes hot stuff...I might have to play with it. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Mmm, that sounds tasty. And we do have an abundance of hot peppers. I've thought about this for a while but never tried it. Maybe this will inspire me.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy, I guess it must be a banner year for peppers. You might as well try it girl, you know you want to. LOL!!! And I promise you it's really easy. You could have a whole batch done in less than an hour.

      Delete
  4. Heck, I like the sounds of this recipe! If it taste as good as it looks, I'll be trying it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, this is defiantly a keeper. Try it, you'll like it!

      Delete
  5. Oooo, sounds amazing! Adding this to my kitchen to do list, I should have enough peppers soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good stuff Andrea. I've had a banner year so far with peppers and had these that I didn't want to pickle or dry so I figured jelly is always good. And its sooo easy to do. Good luck with that list, I know mine just keeps getting longer and longer.

      Delete
  6. How many jars does the recipe make, Sci?

    ~Hossboss who is (apparently) permanently unable to sign into blogger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey HossBoss!!! Sorry about your blogger mess. It can be SO frustrating.
      This recipe made up 6 half pints and enough for a test run for the fridge. Oh, just fyi.... You were the inspiration in getting this post up.
      Love to you and YOF, I miss you guys in the blogosphere.

      Delete
    2. Awww ...me? Inspiring something ...I get accused of inciting once in a while but rarely am I accused of inspiring! : )

      Thanks for the info and the recipe. I have some tabasco, one ancho and four serano plants that I will be experimenting with. I may make a jelly lover out of Yeoldfurt after all!

      Hugs to you guys!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the recipe. I have loved pepper jelly over a block of cream cheese with wheat thins for forever! I can't wait to make my own. However, husband has only grown habaneros this year so it's sure to be hot but I will definitely try it! Note: Also, going to try my hand at home made wheat thins soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've got habanero's growing too and you can bet I'll be making hubby some jelly with some. I'll probably have to pass on trying it though... It might be just a tad to hot for me. But.. you never know till you try it, right?

      I'd love to hear about home made wheat thins!

      Delete
  8. I was already to ask what would you eat this on, but thanks to DFW I now know - and DANG that sounds yummy.

    Any other suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it is yummy for sure. I'm not sure what all you could put this on but I think I'm going to be finding out! I bet it would be pretty tasty on ham. Hmmm.....

      Delete
  9. Sci,

    Congratulations, I nominated you for some awards on my blog!!!!
    Sandy, Oklahomatransient.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks Sandy! I'll be right over to check it out! :0)

      Delete