Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Magic Beans and Coupons

There hasn't been alot going on around here so far this week.  The weather has been wonderful and the weather folks are calling for more of the same for the next week or so. I certainly can't complain. It seems like every time the weather gets like this I wish it would stay this way forever!  It just never seems to last long enough.


Those purple beans are starting to come on now.  Mars got a good handful of them on Sunday and another handful again today.  At this rate it will take awhile to get a good mess of them!  I expect they will take off soon though... the plants are covered with blooms.  We still haven't got anymore squash but again there are lots of blooms so I'm sure it won't be long.  Hey, even the tomato's have some blooms on them. I don't know if we will get any red ripe ones but hey, wouldn't some fried green tomato's be wonderful!

Here's a picture of the things I was able to pick up last week with the help of coupons and in-store savings.
Yes, I know those are Spongebob taco kits! They have 10 taco shells, taco seasoning and taco sauce for a dollar a box.  I found some 83% Hamburger marked down and had a $2.00 coupon so I was able to pick up three pounds for $4.00!  Lets just say  every item here except the lettuce was on sale, including the sausage and the fish sticks.
 I am still doing the couponing and am really surprised at the amount of money that I have been able to save.  One thing I have found though is that the things I have been buying are more of a "fill-in" sort of hings that I know I wouldn't actually buy.(Like the Pepperidge Farm  and Keebler cookies ) But I am not one to argue with free! 

Coupons are not going to feed the family but they will sure help stretch an already tight budget!  I don't know if you can read that but I paid $14.00 for all this and saved a whopping $38.27. Coupons are not foing to feed the family but they will sure help stretch an already tight budget!


                                           ~~Hey... I'm Just Sayin...~~

7 comments:

  1. Fantastic!! I have been couponing for a couple of months too. The things I can't use but had to buy because it was free or even a money maker, I have been donating to a local food bank.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, you have me convenced. I guess I have to get ink for my printer now. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. If there is a bloom but no squash behind it that is a false bloom or a male bloom.With squash you always see the fruit before the bloom. FK

    ReplyDelete
  4. FS and near all frankenfood, fit the stereotype well

    ReplyDelete
  5. I coupon when I can and take the time to search which store has what on sale. While I have never come out paying a rediculous amount like some coupon folks, I have done a 50% reduction of some weeks and our store gives a gas discount too. I love it when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like an awesome day at the store. Less than a dollar per item. Woo Hoo! Not quite sure what 6:08's point is, but although we don't eat all the frankenfood we buy, free is free and it helps build up the food storage. Anything is going to be mighty tasty when the stores close or it becomes evident that grocery shopping is becoming too dangerous to do.

    A few days ago, I was able to donate some of that frankenfood to a single mother of 3 when a call came out on my fb page for help.

    Sorry if I made a mountain out of an ant hill, but savings are savings and free is free, especially with money tightening up for all and with all the mayhem coming down the pike.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your posts. I am trying to get a pantry stockpiled for long term storage. I have purchased some freeze dried item for very long storage. I would like to know how long the items you have dehydrated are expected to be good for. Do you think the Food Saver will extend that time if packaged that way?

    I am eager to read any ideas anyone may have about getting started with my dehydrator.

    ReplyDelete