Saturday, August 21, 2010

Saturday Ramblings

Another week has come and gone.  They sure seem to go faster these days.  It has been pretty quiet around here.  I am reading the blogs and see how busy everyone is right now. Some gardens coming in strong and others just winding down.  Lots of people busy canning and drying fruits and vegetables.  Freezers getting full. Jams and jellies being made.  I was reading one of the blogs I follow  yesterday and she was talking about having the "bug".  She said she was preserving everything that she could get her hands on and enjoying every minute of it, knowing that this winter she and her family would be eating wonderful homegrown foods.  I hope everyone is doing the same out there in the blogosphere.  I have had to "take a break" this summer due to the situation we find ourselves in.  I have high hopes though that the little fall garden here does well.  I may get to break out the canner yet!  I sure have my fingers crossed!

Oh check this blog out.  Mennonite Girls Can Cook.  It is a wonderful blog chock full of mouthwatering recipes.  I can't wait to try a few of them.  I'm already eying some of the cookie recipes!

Yesterday I made my first attempt at soapmaking.  I think it went ok.  It sure looks like it is supposed to.  I still have a few hours before it is ready to pop out of the molds and be ready for cutting into bars.  I can hardly wait!  It is sooo hard not to just go right now and see what it looks like.  I don't want to get to much ahead of myself though and screw things up!  I used a blend of olive oil, canola oil, and coconut oils in this batch.  I did a large mold with the recipe.  I also did a smaller batch using mini-loaf pans that should turn out to be individual bars.  With this one I tried something different.  I attempted to make "swirls" in the soap using natural cocoa for the color variation.  It looks pretty good so far but not exactly what I was hoping for!  I will have pictures soon.

The  phone and internet connection went down around here. Mushroom called the company and they are sending someone out to fix the problem.  It's funny how not being able to get on online makes me a little antsy.  I find it interesting just how much I miss it when I can't have it.  Of course I found myself  going to the library to "get my fix".  It was necessary right?  Hey, I had to get a post up for the blog right?  And of course while I was there I had emails to check and and others that needed to be sent.    And then there are blogs to read and comments to leave.  I just had to catch up on the news too, because you just can't get real news these days through the MSM. I rely alot on alternate news to find out what is really going on.   And of course I had to catch up on what all was going on in FaceBook land didn't I? You know I just can't leave everyone wondering what my status is for the day!   That is when I realized we have become accustomed to having the world (literally) at our fingertips.  Instant gratification.  I think there would be some major problems with people from all walks of life trying to go cold turkey if/when the internet goes down.    Just the thought of that is enough to give me bad dreams for quite awhile.  Lots of irate people cut off from their daily "fix".  I can only imagine the chaos that will evolve....


                               ~~Hey... I'm Just Sayin... ~~ 




3 comments:

  1. Ooooo Sci....the website that you posted has some fantastic sounding recipes! =) Map doesn't know what he has in store! =) Already copied 5 and have more tabs open to go through! =) muwahahahahaha

    Have a good weekend!
    Jewell

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be lost without my computer. When the Internet goes down, I go nuts.
    Take some pictures of your soap, I would love to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, glad you finally get to make your soap! I'm thinking of giving it a try this winter. And I'm with ya on the internet thing. I'd go crazy!

    ReplyDelete