Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Dehydrating Day

Okra plants (Abelmoschus esculentus) focusing ...
  I can't believe how fast this month flew by.  October is upon us.

We put in some broccoli, cabbage and  brussel sprouts last week.  I've never grown fall veggies so I am looking forward to watching them grow.  The tomato's are putting out a few flowers so I have my fingers crossed that we will get some more.  


We put up another 2 pounds of blackeyed peas this week.  They are still producing!  YaY!! The okra is still producing like wildfire.  We don't like boiled okra so other than freezing I didn't know what to do with it all. Both of us love it fried though.

And then I had a "lightbulb" moment.  Why not try dehydrating some?  I dried one tray as an experiment.  The result was pretty cool.  The dried okra makes a really neat snack treat.  Quite tasty! (the next batch got a sprinkling of salt) 
So on to the next test.  How would it rehydrate?  I was pleased to find that it rehydrated just fine.It was even slimey.

And then for the last test.  How would it fry up?  You guessed it!  It was wonderful.  I wish I had taken pictures now but we pretty much grazed the experiment with no leftovers!

I've got three trays of okra in the dehydrator this time around.  I'm sure there will be more to follow.

I'm also working on another experiment.  I have a dozen eggs in the dehydrator as well.  I finally broke down and decided to try my hand at it just to see how it will work.  I've been thinking about it for awhile now after seeing one of Dean in AZ posts over at Stealth Survivor.  I'll take pic's when its done.  Tomorrow I am going to be drying some more carrots.


I can't believe how big a fan of dehydrating I have become.  There are just so many things you can dry!  The space it saves is a huge plus. And it weighs next to nothing!   I'm still scouring the Thrift Stores for a second machine for the "stinky" stuff like onions, peppers, and garlic.  I'll find one though.  I've learned to be patient but diligent in my search!

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

5 comments:

  1. SciFi, I'm with you, I love dehydrators! Mine is always on the go, withy mushrooms right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to start playing with my dehydrator this weekend, SFC. I'm thinking to dry some fruit for my first go 'round. After it's dried, I thought I would package it in serving size quantities with the Food Saver. As far as okra, I like the taste but have a hard time getting past the slime ...guess I'll have to work on that. We hope to get our garden prepped and replanted this weekend ...lots more chard (enough so I can can some), carrots, onions, white potatoes and sweet potatoes. Sure wish the weekend was longer than two days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your harvesting! A dehydrator is something on my wish list--glad that yours is being put to such good use!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Molly,of all the ways to put up food- it is by far my favorite!

    Hoss, Sounds like a great fall garden. The first thing I started with were bananas (don't forget the lemon juice) and the next were strawberries. I had some in my cereal this morning!

    Marie, thank you. Maybe Santa will bring you one for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You touched on something I forgot to warn everyone about..NEVER DEHYDRATE ONION'S OR HOT PEPPER'S INDOOR'S!!! Your eye's will water till you air out the house! Yes,I learned the hard way! I put the dehydrator out in the garage when I do them.
    Dean in Az

    ReplyDelete